Thursday, January 22, 2009

2 baptismal dates!!, talk in church, "heal the world"‏

Me, Sorella Swenson & Anziano Herrick at Christmas Zone Confrence.
I looke like a goonie baby in this pic but whatevs :)
This is our Rome 1 Christmas Card. We gave one to all the members.
Sorella Chevalier, Me, Anziano Bradford, Anziano Herrick, Anziano Lombardo, Anziano Brock
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Well well well if it isn't my fam and friends we all know and love,So this week was super-di-duper! First off, I have to share a moment that went down in my life that was hilarious to me. So we do service for 3 hours a week. Sometimes the missionaries go work at this catholic place where they give people food, but since I've been here my companion and I have just gone and cleaned the street across from the church. Man it's a doozy. There's just so much stuff stuck to the street and sidewalk and all kinds of goods like that. Well I was just sweeping around some cars and not even thinking I noticed that I was singing a familiar tune. ha ha I have no idea where it came from but I realized I was singing "Heal the World" by Michael Jackson. ha ha I just busted up laughing. Can you imagine? This pensive sister missionary, spreading good cheer, sweeping the streets of italy singing that song? ha ha I was dying.Well we had an incredible activity in church on Saturday on the Plan of Salvation. It was amazing! There were investigators there and a couple of people from our english class it was a success indeed! Then on sunday...guess who had to give a talk in sacrament meeting. ha ha Yup, yours truly. It was on missionary work. I don't know why, but everytime I'm given a speaking assignment it seems so ambiguous to me. Like really, I know I'm a missionary but finding what specifically to talk about was silly to me. It took me forever to write the silly 5 minute talk. YET, it got done. I think it went pretty well all things considered. I just shared a scripture (you know, those books that we believe in or something...) and talked about how missionary work helps bring other people joy, and it brings us joy to do it. Anywho, it wasn't ground breaking but a good time still the same.SO I don't think I've talked about Monia and Alain before. Uh...just to start off...they're INCREDIBLE! They're actually italian. :) And she's amazing. So we met her like a week and a half ago. Her husband passed away in a car accident about 3 years ago and her mom just kicked her out ...don't know why. But she owns the apartment of this family in our ward--the Barrigas. So I guess she asked if she could live with them for a little and they said yes. So she's been living with this family and they just pray over every meal and do scripture study, family prayer--everything!...and Monia and her 12-year old son Alain have been participating in all of this. So we've taught her the first lesson, she came to church on sunday, and this week when we taught her the second lesson she told us that she knows this church is true, the book of mormon's true and that she wants to be a member!! Not joking! And she said Alain is always asking if they can pray (like if they aren't eating with the Barriga family) and he just wants to pray all the time. She said she was taking one of Alain's friends home from school or something and Alain told him that he didn't do something because he's mormon. :) How amazing are these guys?! So Alain wants to get baptized and his mom! They set a date for February 14. Her and Alain will get baptized the same day. I'm so excited for them. I just adore both of them and love every time we get to see them. Sorella Chevalier and I are going over on Friday to teach her about our non-smoking program. She's amazing. She was saying that she never wants to smoke when she's with us. Ah! Love it!!Well I am running out of time!! I sent some pictures home in the mail last week and I'll send some more this week. I hope that my postcards and letters are getting there. I love you all and hope you're all healthy, happy, and loving every minute of your beautiful lives!
Take care. All my italian love! Sorella Hansen

No comments: