Friday, October 23, 2009

Burr burr, Explosion in the bathroom (it's not what it seems), Progress with the Acevedos!‏

BUONGIORNO!! Hello my dears! I hope that you have all had a marvelous and enjoyable week. One of the main changes that I've noticed since being here in La Spezia would be...the weather. In Cagliari I was in short sleeved shirts and it was still pretty warm. Well, ever since I've arrived in La Spezia...are you ready for this?...WINTER COAT! ha ha So there's no snow or anything, but there mornings when it is burrilicious! But, it's okay. Lots of layers never hurt anyone.Another fun fact about life in La Spezia (and especially since my companion and I are new in the city together) is we're not only discovering the city, bus system, members, investigators, etc. but we're also trying to figure out our apartment. Now I know what you're thinking, "what is there to know about an apartment?" And before coming here I would have agreed with you ...but alas, I learned when we did our first load of wash that we might have needed an instruction manual for this glorious little place that I now call home. So to spare you details that don't matter, I was washing my feet in the bidet at night time and there was some hose stuck down the drain. I obviously pulled it out and forgot to put it back because I thought it was random. Well the next morning we went to do a load of wash and at a certain point during our weekly planning...we hear an explosion of spraying water in the bathroom! We ran into the bathroom and the hose where the water drains out of the washer....was the one that I had removed from the bidet. So we got the hose and put it in the bidet. After about 10 minutes it SHOT out again and was spraying all over the bathroom. Once again, though nearly doing the splits while sliding in there from the excitement and slippery floor, we got the hose back into the bidet. Is the story finished? Course not. When the washer finished, we could NOT open the door. There's no handle! It must have been riped off by a dear sister missionary that was a little upset about the hose in the bidet. So we saw a pile of wrenches on top of the washer. Can't be true right? After about 10 minutes we managed to get the wrench situated just right to open the washer. Ah. Just one of the many adventures that we have been enjoying here in our new little home. Good times indeed I say!So on to the important stuff: the work! Our dear Acevedo family are doing really well. We've started teaching them the commandments and so far they have accepted everything without problems. Love it when that happens! Leo, the father, is a rock. He knows that this is the true church and is the strong one about making sure that the family prays and reads the scriptures. We are also wanting to work with their son, Ariel. He hasn't really stayed with us for a lesson because he's either at work or he gets there as we're leaving. We managed to get him to come to the table for the lesson about commandments and it went really well. It's going to take some work but I can already see that we're cracking him and he's opening up. It's kind of sad because he doesn't really feel at home there so you can tell that he's awkward about joining us for lessons. But really all that he needed was an invitation...a loving, enthusiastic invitation, but that's all. His parents weren't going to ask him to come to the table. It's so important for everyone to feel included, invited, and welcome. Just like this young boy needs to feel at home and welcome with his family, I've seen the same principle in our branch here. There are a good amount of in-actives. How great it would be if everyone could look around for someone who's "not at the table" and give them a loving invitation. Everyone should feel welcome, comfortable, and loved. We've met with several inactive members this week and though their struggles are different, it would do nothing but help if we could all (not just the missionaries) do a little bit more to serve someone else and help someone else feel appreciated.We had Zone Conference in Florence yesterday and it was amazing. I'm so grateful for inspired leaders who help us learn how to improve as missionaries and be more effective. It was really cool to be back in Florence. I went about 2 years ago (I can't believe it's been so long!) back when I lived in Paris. We walked through the street market on the way to the train station and it was so fun to see that gorgeous city again. There was something so magical about it. I felt like I was in a movie. (Except instead of being with some dreamy chap, I was with my fellow 22 year-old, female, mid-calf skirted companion. ha ha) It's all good! I still manage to be woo'ed by the city, talk to some sweet street vendors, and enjoy my time gazing at all the marvelous things to be that...I don't need but...come on. I was in Florence. :)I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve. I have so many things that I need to continue learning and improving, but I know that with the lords help that we can do it. We can do what He asks us to do. Satan is a complete idiot. (sorry for my juvenile name calling) but it really got to me this week the idea that Satan doesn't want us to believe in ourselves, in God, or in the fact that we CAN do ANYTHING that God asks us to do. period. Satan wants us to feel inadequate, scared, fill-in-the-blank with whichever miserable descriptive word that you want. I'm so grateful that I know that Heavenly Father wants me here. I know that He didn't tell me to come on a mission but...think that I wasn't ACTUALLY capable of accomplishing anything or doing any good. That's completely bogus and one hundred percent from the one man who has no bright future, hope, or anything worthwhile to offer anybody. Well I do. Not because I'm anything fabulous or remarkable, but because I'm a missionary for Jesus Christ. I have a message that changes lives and makes people feel happy, peace, love, and come to know the Savior. I have been called to this work from Heavenly Father himself. He wanted me here. He knows His children. He loves them so much. And He will help us do what He has asked us to be done. I'm so over any feelings or thoughts that take away from that fact. Heavenly Father will be there for us EVERY time. How wonderful and reliable is our ol' pal Satan? Er...yeah, check the facts. He has never been there for anyone. He's not reliable, he doesn't care about anybody, and doesn't deserve a second of our time. I am grateful for the opportunity to understand this. It's been a week that has really made me learn that I need to choose who to listen to. I'm grateful for the hard times in the mission. Yup, they happen. I'm grateful to know that I have a loving Heavenly Father who will always be there, will always love us, and wants so badly for us to see of our divine potential and worth. I love you guys. I pray that you're all doing well and are happy and enjoying each day, each member of the family, and even the little things in life that don't always go our way. See the good. Find joy, be happy. Have a good laugh. The church is true. You have a beautiful life. And you are all very important. Know that I love you and miss you. Sending lots and lots of lovable sista missionary love. Kisses! Sorella Hansen

No comments: