Friday, October 10, 2008

A Temple for the Italians!!

Normally my wonderful sister-in-law Aubry posts on here, but I thought I would do one before I leave on Wednesday for the MTC.

Ever since I went through the temple I've thought a lot about the people of Italy--where they go to the temple. what language it's in, how far they have to travel, if they need translators, etc. I read in a recent Ensign article about some youth in Rome. One of them said they try to go to the temple as often as they can but the Bern, Switzerland temple is the closest one---a 9 hour one-way drive! I've therefore felt pretty guilty that I live literally down the street from one.


Bern, Switzerland Temple


Therefore hearing the announcement in Conference of a temple being built in Rome made me so happy! I was reading my mission presidents blog (though lets be serious, his wife is probably the one who does it) and I was reading about how the Italians took the news. They were listening to conference at the stake center and one of the members was translating it for everyone. This is how my mission presidents wife retells the story:
When President Monson said, "Rome, Italy" in English, the person translating it
into Italian paused and said, "What?" and then took a half second to let it sink
in, then said, "Roma, Italia." The congregation leapt to their feet, cheering
and clapping. The women were crying, the men were hugging each other, and
everyone was overwhelmed with surprise and joy.
I'm so excited for the people of Italy to finally get a temple and am glad, even though I just awkwardly read my mission presidents blog, that I was able to know and share their excitement.

5 comments:

Amberly said...

mal, we are super excited for you. denten also was so excited about the temple announcement. he served in the catania mission and knows what a big deal this will be for the italian people. good luck wednesday... it's going to be so great!!

Tricia said...

Mal, I love you so much and I am already excited about your call and chance to serve. You will be such a loving and kind missionary. I will try to learn a bit of Italian to keep up with you. Love Aunt Tricia

Ashley Ann said...

Mallory, that makes me tear up everytime I read it! and I am usually not one for tears. Oh I am so excited!!!

The Hansen's said...

Mal- That is awesome! I am thrilled that you posted that, I will try to keep things updated here as the temple moves forward. We should put a link to your mission pres's blog on here; that would be fun.

kimmalee said...

Mal, that's so exciting. What a sweet recounting of the story from your mission president's blog. How exciting that you get to be there to spread the gospel when the people will soon be able to attend a temple so near their homes. Congrats little sis. I'm so excited for you. Have fun in the MTC and write us when you get a chance.