Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Unwanted visitor, 3 month conference, English Class

At our first zone conference. This is Sorella Chevalier and I with Sister Acerson (Mission President's wife). My mission president is in the background. :)

This was at the New Years party. The lady is one of the elders investigators named Nellie.
L-R: Anziano Brock, Me, Sorella Chevalier, Nellie, Anz. Lombardo, Anz. Bradford, Anz. Herrick
And there's Manni in the background.

This is clear back from the MTC. This is my roommate from this summer in Provo.
Sister Katy Knight. She is in Chile... I think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, if I haven't mentioned it enough, just let it be known that so much about a mission is unpredictable. For example, I awoke this morning, did some exercises, studied the scriptures, then had companion study (this is all usual right?), then since it's P-day we decided to do some cleaning! Since my mind is a constant jukebox whenever I have any cleaning object in my hand I get "A woman's touch" from Calamity Jane in my head. I put on some "spiritual music" blah blah and started cleaning. Well I went out on our balcony to get our mop to mop the kitchen. Check. SO...I'm on my way to put the mop back out on the balcony and....HOLY SCHNIKEEZ!! There is something that does NOT belong in our house, IN OUR HOUSE! I started freakin' out (at moments like this I realize I'm hardly as tough or brave as I'm convinced I am) I had no idea WHAT language I was yelling but my companion was in the bathroom and could not help me. I sat there with the mop in my hand staring at it and every now and then shaking and trying to translate "Holy crap there's a lizard in our apartment" in Italian. Needless to say, I got sufficiently laughed at by my companion (though she was afraid too) and we called our dear Portiere Marco Antonio to help us. All I have to say is -WHAT?!? I thought I got called to the Italy Rome Mission. What's going on that there's a gecko..lizard...something chillin' in our apartment. Not cool. Anywho, in case you were wondering, those critters exist in Italy and I'll probably have a girlishly difficult time getting to sleep tonight in my bedspread that I'm convinced was put in a blender before I got here, all the while thinking about all the other animals that live in our apartment. Oh well. Tough it out. ha ha I'm such a girl.Our three month conference was AMAZING! It was just our district from the MTC. 6 sisters and Anziano Herrick....And two Italian elders who came in with us. It was so great. The assistants gave us some trainings, we got to watch the Joseph Smith movie. And let's be serious, I've seen that movie several times (before the mission, MTC, etc) but I adore it quite frankly. It's such a great movie. I'm just constantly amazed by Joseph Smith and his love and dedication for the gospel. He and his family went through so much and it just makes me want to work harder and do my part. Sorella Acerson always blows my mind with all that she does. She made us every meal and fed us the most unusually delicious pancakes I've had in my life, plus gave us training. Sorella Hughes and I were laughing about how delicious they were. It's probably because they don't have maple syrup here. And they don't really eat pancakes. Also, our mission president is great. He's actually pretty funny and is a gold mine for good advice. I learn so much from him every time he talks. He's great.SO I wasn't at English class after all of our publicity but I heard that we only had 5 new students. Crazy right? We've still been hitting it pretty hard core. The other night my companion and I made posters and we met up with Anziano Herrick and Morris and we walked up and down the metro (while it's driving...I actually felt drunk because of walking up and down, starting and stopping, turning, and told people about our English class fliers. After a while I would just sit down next to people and talk to them about it. I think the one-on-one thing works better for me. I love meeting new people. I hope the class is bigger this Thursday. I'm pretty excited about it personally.Things are going well. My companion and I had a sweet talk last night about our goals as a companionship and things that we want to change and improve. I don't really know if I'll be with her for another transfer. All of the old sister missionaries are going home. She still has 3 transfers left. My district that I came here with are going to be old in the mission pretty fast because all the older sisters are finishing. But however long I'm with this companion I'm excited about. I really think we can push each other and get some work done. The sister missionaries are gonna be working hard. End of story. I love you guys. The chruch is true...and apparently I can't spell church. And the scriptures rock my socks...every morning. I hope you're all healthy, happy, and lovin' life. Sending my love from Italia,
Sorella Mallory Hansen

No comments: