Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Primary program drama, Ariel, Best Referral Ever‏

Well what a slammin' week! We had the Primary program on Sunday and we showed up to church with a bit of a surprise...no electricity in the church. And...all of the pianos in the church are plug-in so naturally the Primary presidency was in disarray (spelling? whatevs!). BUT, get ready for our rad member who will not cease to rock your socks. Fratello Mandile, our blind member who plays the piano, oh don't even worry about it. He just went home during Sunday school and came back with some sort of hand-held keyboard that you blow into and play at the same time (some sort of flutey..keyboard) and WHAMY..music! He kind of saved the primary program. I'm telling you, he's a champ. The primary program was much different from the ones I remember at home. There were 5 children. But alas, it was still a romping success.So we had several pleasant surprises with the Acevedo family this week. For one, we were there for an appointment and a guy that sells them food showed up to their house. He came in and kind of made himself comfortable. He was hilarious and me and my missionary mind went crazy with how fabulous of a contribution he'd be to the ward. Young men's counselor? ha ha Is it sublimely awkward that I think this way? Unknown. ANYWHO, we started talking with him about the church and we were able to talk to him about the restoration. It was pretty sweet. He had some very interesting questions and beliefs. He invited us to go out to his house and talk with him. What's possibly more fabulous then that is when Judy woops out her ol' testimony on him. It was crazy! She was telling him that she feels like this is the most sincere church and that he should listen to us. That a girl eh!? So we're planning on just "casually" being there when he goes back to deliver food.Other news on the Acevedo front: We're getting in with their son Ariel. He's 17. Up until this point he's ALWAYS been working and...it didn't help that he didn't live at home. But he was there for our lesson about the restoration and we did all visual so it would keep their attention. And he was totally digging that there's a living prophet. The way that our little presentation went was super effective because he made a priceless reaction when we talked about the restoration and the fact that there's a living prophet today. (All thanks so S.lla Skabelund and teaching the restoration with cups.) :) Then we invited Ariel to come to the YM/YW activity that was last night and he CAME! It was really cool. So I'm excited to keep working with him and hopefully he can be a good example and help his family progress.We tried a little something on Sunday that was cool! I read something about "The Best Referral Ever". It's this idea that if you're gonna get a member referral, get it from the best member--you know, God. So Sunday night my companion and I said a prayer. We were going to do some finding. We wanted to do some house so we prayed to know where to go--where people wouldn't be busy, or where they'd be in a state of mind to listen to us. So we said a prayer and said, "we're going to do house at 7:30" and asked who would be ready at that time, and where. We then got the ol' map of the city out and my companion made a list of ten streets, and then we each made our list of 4 that hit us. So...to be honest we didn't get any in common the first time. My companion said, "Well, maybe I didn't get the right street when I wrote the list of ten. You do it." So I wrote a list of 10 and then we each wrote a list of 4 that hit us. We had two in common. We went out with a new confidence because we knew that there was someone on those streets that was prepared and ready. After all, it was a referral form, I'd say, a pretty reliable source! Well we got 2 pass backs on the first street and we were running out of time but the first building on the second street we met a guy in the stairwell. He talked to us and wanted to hear about the church. We couldn't enter without a woman, so he opened the door to his apartment, and we stood in the entryway and talked for like 15 minutes. It was really cool. His name's Antonio and we'll be going back to see him again later this week.It was a really good experience to remind me that doing the work without the Lords help or without the spirit is like tying your shoe laces with your elbows. We could go out and do house all day every day, but if we didn't ask God where to go or when...then to some extent it's silly. He knows which of His children are looking for the gospel. We just need to ask for the referral. Well...and then go get it, which is the part that makes you test your faith. It was a really cool experience.I got my hair cut last week. How's that for the excitement in my life? It's the first time I've cut it since I've been in Italy. I've been scared!! But we went to one of the elders contacts and he was super cool. My hair looks less dreadlocky, which is pleasing.Well, I will officially wrap up this letter since I have reached an all-time low of telling you about my haircut. I hope you're having a splendid start of DECEMBER! My stars, I can't even believe it's already December. I hope you have a grand week and I'll talk to you shortly. Lots of La Spezian love, Sorella Hansen

No comments: