Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Beautiful Baptism, Friendly District Competition, Taking care of your Cadillacs‏

Hey friends and family!
So we had a baptism on Saturday which was crazy cool. Her name's Fernanda and she's wonderful. It was much more eventful then we had been planning because, making a long story short, she didn't show up at 6...when her baptism was supposed to happen. Yeah. There was some last minute Satan being a jerk-face drama, but in the end some members went to her house, gave her a blessing, and got her to the church! By 7:20 she got all dressed up in her baptismal dress and she just looked so happy. I'm glad she was able to get over the problems that were going on because you could see that once she overcame them, that she was just filled with joy. It was beautiful. She gave her testimony afterwards and...ah...it was great. She really knows that the church is true. She bore testimony about how she doesn't feel alone anymore now that she's found the church. It was a stressful but absolutely beautiful day all at the same time.
A couple of the elders in our district have challenged us to an ol' fashioned "who can give out more Book of Mormons". (How many of you judged me about whether or not I correctly pluralized Book of Mormon?" Because...I just did) BUT we decided that there's no point in giving out Books of Mormon (changed it up, just to make sure that I'm right at least once) :) unless something comes out of it. So we are keeping track of how many we give away a day BUT it only counts if you get their phone number. So we've been working on our finding and so far we've gotten one everyday....and we're winning. shhh..
Yesterday one of our few appointments cancelled on us last minute and so...that left us with a whole afternoon of finding work on our hands. We did just about everything. Street, bus, metro, house, trenino....yup, we did an hour of one thing and then changed it up. It was about 8:00, we'd been working for hours and still no bites. Wouldn't ya know, on the way home a guy on the trenino looks at my Book of Mormon and decides to ask me about what it is and what we believe. Cha-ching! So we spent the whole train ride telling him about the restoration of the church and bearing testimony and we gave him a Book of Mormon (part 1) and were getting a lot of good feedback on his part. He was really into it. I had already asked for his phone number 2 different times when it came up during our ride and then when we were at the end of the line (his stop) I asked him one last time. And...he gave it to us! (part 2). His name's Marco and he's genuinely great! He happens to have a wife and two children. Italian family? Don't mind if I do!! Hopefully we'll be able to meet with him on Saturday. He said he was going to have to talk it over with his wife. So...we've been praying for her a lot lately. :)
And in closing, we taught my dear friend Josef about the word of wisdom this last week. This little guy is my favorite. Oh my stars I just want to introduce him to all of you. He's marvelous. He loves analogies and so it's good times preparing things for his lessons that will catch his attention and get him to apply the lessons that we're teaching. So my favorite word of wisdom analogy is starting by talking about a beautiful, expensive car and how the mechanic that made that car knows it in and out. He knows exactly how to take care of it so that it'll run well, last, and so you can enjoy it! We asked him what would happen if I just up and decided since I didn't have gas that I could just put some peanut butter in the gas tank instead. He gave quite the reaction and was like, "Oh no, you don't do that." ha ha And we talked about how God created our bodies and knows the ins and outs of how they work. The word of wisdom is an instruction manual for how to take care of them, make them last, and enjoy them! He loved it. However we got to a point when he said, "Well, I don't understand why I can't have a little bit of wine every now and then. If I'm not an alcoholic, why does it matter?" and I was like, "Would you put even a teaspoon of peanut butter in your Cadillac's gas tank?" He sat there quiet for a second and then said, "You're right. Are you sure this Smith wasn't a genius?" "No, Josef, he was a prophet." ha ha I love that man.
Well, I've got to scadaddle. Apparently we can get into the Colosseum for free today! Why would we not be all over an offer like that?! So we're gonna go check that out and then we have an appointment with a contact that we met on the train. He's a really cool guy from Congo named Victor. He's seen the missionaries around in Congo and wanted to talk to us about the church. So we'll be seeing him tonight. I hope that you guys are having a marvelous month of April. I think about ya (just the right amount) and pray that you're all doing well and are happy. Take care of yourselves. Roman kisses,
Sorella Hansen

No comments: