Wednesday, April 7, 2010

General Conference back at Rome 1, Josef loving Pres. Monson, Bonding with the Danish‏


Sorella Hansen and Diana - A convert from when Mallory was first serving in Roma 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well we really had quite the week! There's so much to say and I don't know what is of more value for you to hear so...I'll just blurt some stuff out that comes to my head and err...just skip over it if it's boring you out of your minds k? So General Conference this weekend official rocked my socks! How rad is modern day revelation? Really now, how can you NOT love all of their amazing counsel. They're just marvelous. It was actually really cool because we got to go to the Rome 1 building (where I started the mission) to watch all of the sessions. So I got to see all of the members and our new convert Diana. It was a really really rewarding experience and it was such a blessing for me to be able to see that I was remembered and that I did make a difference at the beginning of the mission even if I didn't speak the language like a champ. So many people came and said hi and we took pictures together. Ah, it's an amazing ward. I had forgotten how much I love and miss them.Our investigator Josef came to conference. He's our investigator that comes from Ethiopia and he is seriously, ridiculously wonderful. He was actually invited by the Vatican to go Saturday night at 6 p.m. until Sunday at 6 a.m. for a special...I dunno..meeting for Ethiopians. Anyway, he said that they've been inviting him for years so he decided that this year he'd go. Welp, he came to the session that was broadcast at 6:00 p.m. Sunday night here and he LOVED it. He adored President Monson. He said that he had spend over an hour listening to, supposedly, the best speaker/priest at his meeting at the Vatican. But he said that President Monson said what that man had said, but with more simplicity, clarity and heart...and he did it in 20 minutes. He kept saying, "That man has a gift." We were like, "Yeah Joseph. He's the prophet." ha ha It was really cool that he made the effort to come and that he really enjoyed the talks. They made him think and he felt something special. Bam!! We got to the area for General Conference a little bit early so we decided to rock a little metro. We got on at the end of the line were going to ride it half-way and then come back. Anyway I started talking to this killer cool guy named Giovanni. He commented on my last name and I told him it was Danish. He was like, "Really? My mom's Danish." And somehow we started a grand ol' conversion all because I have a Danish last name. Anyway he was crazy cool. He is married and has 3 children and he was genuinely interested when I talked to him about the restoration. So he didn't give me his number (I asked) but he took a pamphlet with my number and...whammy! 1 hour after we talked on the metro he called me!! He just wanted to thank me for the conversation that we had on the metro because he said that it's rare to have genuine conversations these days. So the downside is that he's probably not in my area but the point is that he and his beautiful Italian family needs the gospel. I talked to him for a little bit this morning on the phone but the phone cut out and I wasn't able to get a hold of him again yet. So hopefully something slamming happens! I got a question about what this area of Rome is like. Honestly, it's not postcard Rome--though that is only 45 minutes away. Honestly I kind of forget that I'm in Rome sometimes because it just feels like a big city. But then I bump into someone and they say "scusa" or I hear Italians yelling at each other across the street and I just smile and know exactly where I am. We're going to do some good ol' sightseeing today and it should be a solid good time. There's a woman named Fernanda that we're preparing for baptism and she's been having some rough times lately so we're going to bring her some joy and spirit...which never did anything less then please so...should be grand. Welp, I think I have rambled for long enough! I love you guys oodles I hope that you know. Be happy and love your lives because they're beautiful. Lots of love,
Sorella Hansen

No comments: