Thursday, February 26, 2009

Oaks, Diana, TATEY

(Reunion of the MTC girls: Sorella Crandall, Hughes, Watson, Millis, some elder, Mal and Sorella Swenson. Thanks to Sorella Swenson's blog for this pic)

Hello hello!!
So first off: We had another appointment with Diana last night and we taught her some hefty commandments--some doozies you might say--Law of Chastity and Word of Wisdom. I, quite frankly, was nervous about these being problems and us having to move her baptismal date or something. Also, a little nervous because talking about the law of chastity in English has potential to be awkward but then...add Italian to the mix and ...no go. BUT it was actually so cool. We talked about the law of chastity and she just completely agreed with us and that it's the right thing to do and the right way to live. My mind was blown. Who does that?!?! THEN we got to the Word of Wisdom and I was more sure that this one would be more of a problem than the first one. But she agreed with this one too. She drinks coffee a little bit (and we assumed as much so we bought Orzo beforehand for her. It's like...hot chocolate but not. I dunno, it's a drink that she can drink the in morning INSTEAD of coffee) So it was cool and she totally accepted it and we gave her the Orzo and she was totally cool with it. It kinda weirded me out how cool she was with it. We have some more commandments to teach her tonight--one of particular note is Tithing. But hopefully we'll invite the bishop into our lesson and he'll help us out with it a bit. Her baptism is on Sunday!! I'm so excited. It's going to be a beautiful day indeed!!
Also another sock rocking thing that happened this week...in fact, yesterday: a little known guy by the name of Anziano Dallin H. Oaks came to visit!! WHAT?!? It was crazy! And what made it even cooler (if that's even possible) is that every single missionary from our whole mission came!! There's like 130 of us or something. But I got to see all the girls from my MTC district. Ah it was so so nice to see them. I think sorella Millis and I hugged each other for like 5 minutes. ha ha I love that girl so much. I think we're both praying to be companions in the future because we loved the MTC together. I loved seeing the other girls too Crandall, Hughes, Watson, and Swenson. It was like old times. Elder Oaks is amazing. We got to all go shake his hand and he asked us each a little question. He asked me where I was from and then said something about how he just went to a funeral there and the body was pulled by a horse-drawn carriage. ha ha I had no idea what to say to something like that. °That's neat.°..ha ha I didn't say that. There was just a pause and then he said °It was interesting°. ha ha I'm glad American Fork left such a good impression on him. ha ha He really was amazing though and his wife is adorable!! They have the cutest relationship and were teasing each other and laughing the whole time. He's just an amazing person. You just want to be better when you're in the same room with him. He gave us a couple analogies of how we need to be doing missionary work and how exactly we're used for these people and it really is overwhelming the magnitude of our calling. I felt overwhelmed and realized how much I need to improve and how much more I can be doing. It was an amazing meeting and I just felt so grateful to be able to receive training from him. I learned a lot and it was an amazing experience.
Thank you so much for sending pictures of my little nephew Tatey. Holy papa that boy's cute! My goodness, between his looks and his name, that boy's gonna be a charmer! How can you not love someone named Tate Willem?!? It's emotionally impossible I'm convinced!
As always, tons of Italian love getting sent your way, Sorella Hansen

1 comment:

Shannon said...

*Family of Sorella Hansen -

I'm Slla Watson's sister (she was in the MTC with Slla Hansen) and actually served in the Italy Rome Mission as well. My sister mentioned in her last letter that Mallory is serving in Roma 1 - MY LAST AREA! I'd love to send some contacts her way - should I post them here on her blog or send it to a specific email address? I would love it if you could tell her to pass along a tremendous hug to Francisca Quiroz Munoz for me... and all others in the ward there!

She is in an amazing area!

Best,
Shannon Watson
email: un.sacco.di.bene@gmail.com