Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Squid, Diana in Church, Metallics....

Grazie Mia collega!
My companion gave me this little bag of Italian candy. She's a thoughtful little lass.
My Companion.
She wants to teach preschool after her mission and mentioned that she wants Italian children's books. So I bought two for her fro Christmas. It's kind of hard shopping for a present when your companion has to be with in sight and sound. But, we made it work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy February! I love walking by the windows of stores here in Italy and seeing the tacky stuffed red hearts that say "ti voglio bene" on them (I love you). ha ha Ah...I just love when silly things like that translate into other countries. This one time I walked by a car that had a thing in the window that said (but it was in Italian of course) "Doggie on board". ha ha I seriously just laugh that those things are a worldwide good time.Well, I never do know where to start with these letters. I don't know what people like to hear. This week--like all weeks--was crazy. For one thing, we had dinner at one of our investigators houses last night. I've talked about them before. Carmela and Giada. We're struggling to get them to commit to coming to church and stuff. Sorella Chevalier has been teaching them since she's been here (like 7 or 8 months, mind you) and they've just, since I've been here, started to read and pray. They're great. Giada kind of makes it harder to get in but, you know me, that just makes me more determined to make it happen. She speaks English pretty well apparently and French a bit too so I think next time we go, I'll attempt to conjure up a conversation in French. Also, they have a nephew named Giorggio who whenever we come, just wanders his way into the room and listens to us. He's like ..17? I don't know for sure. But it's been interesting to watch the situation because he was one of the people smoking up a storm when we first went over. They all smoke, but it's cool that he wants to come listen to us.OH, so the dinner. This is important mostly because I think I genuinely felt fear when I saw it. We came in and went downstairs to the kitchen and I think gasped (inside, of course) when I saw this white, slimy, stringy thing in her hands. She had like... octopus or squid or something and she was washing it and I genuinely was frightened. OH man I just saw in my mind those aliens from Independence Day and freaked out. Don't worry, nobody had any idea I was nervous about this...this was just all happening inside my head. But they were white and she cut them up (yes, many of them!...like 5) and cooked them in a separate pan from the pasta. Anywho, when they were done, they were black and were in black juice (ink? I dunno...and don't wanna) and so our pasta had this black juice and chunks of some swimming creature. In her defense...in was pretty good. But it turned every one's tongues black. I kid you not! ha ha Oh mamma it was a doozy.We had a lesson last Wednesday night with an investigator that we haven't seen as frequently as we'd like. But she committed to come to church which, is a big deal you might say. But more then that...she actually came! It was testimony meeting and I think she loved it. Every now and then after a testimony I'd look over at her and she'd just whisper "bello" and I'd just grin inside and listen again. She's awesome. We have an appointment with her tonight and ...I have some high hopes for her indeed.So, on the awkward side of my life: ha ha OH man, so last P-day we wanted to go to the Colosseum. You know, thought it'd be pretty sweet or something right? So we stopped at other cool things along the way and when we got there...Colosseum was closed. Closes at 3 apparently. (Just for your future reference) Well they have dressed up gladiators wandering around outside of the Colosseum and you can pay them to take a picture with them. One of them shouted to us, "Are you from Utah?" Naturally that got my attention, we went and talked to him a bit about the church and told him that we have an English class and stuff. He INSISTED that we take a picture with him. ha ha And he told us we could have a picture for free because we were friends now. Well, I'm already dying at the situation of taking a picture with this adult man dressed in a metal helmet, armor, and kilt! So Sorella Chevalier went first, and then ...unfortunately...it was my turn. He put his hand around my waist and took my hand and ...needless to say I LOOK as awkward in the picture as I felt. It was brutality. He then told me how I reminded him of an ex-girlfriend or something. Oh dear, I seriously walked away just so confused with my life. Like seriously, one minute my companion was buying a key chain and the next, I'm in the arms of a gladiator?! It wasn't on my to-do list for the day, I'll say that much.The next day in English class, one of our students, brought me a gold plate with Nefertiti on it. I kid you not! It was so awkward trying to explain that I couldn't take it and then other missionaries came over to us and tried to talk to him. Well, he was getting offended so they told me to just take it. He's from Egypt and his name is Mohammad. (Those of you who went to France with me, understand why this is ironic) But all I have to say is this: Do guys look at me and think I'm easily swooned by metallics? One day, a golden clad gladiator, and then next an Egyptian plate! My life is an everlasting joke and it just laughable. So...the plate is hung in the bathroom. ha ha I'm totally sending pics.Well, signing off from Italia. I think we're going to try to get into the Colosseum again today. (before 3 this time) There's tons of stuff to do and we've really been trying to step it up so that we can earn progress and blessin's.

Here are a couple of questions:How is your mission Pres. Have you even had much time to meet with him much?Our mission president is sweet. He's really such a nice guy. I don't know how it works with every mission but I guess I thought I'd get more contact with him. I dunno, I talked to him for like 3 minutes the night I got here for an interview, and then we had like a 15 minute interview a couple of weeks ago. But yeah, he's a great guy and his family's incredible. I'm looking forward to getting to know him better because he's awesome.

I have a friend in our ward whose sister got home last Wednesday from the Italy Rome mission sister Jones.Um, yeah I've heard of Sorella Jones. She actually served in the same area that I'm in right now. I've never met her. Her last transfer was my first so we never met, but I've heard people here talk about her every now and then.

Can I email you pictures?Um...yes I believe that you can. But I don't know how much this e-mail account can take. So I'll probably have to delete them afterwards, but I'll print them or something. But if it's pictures of my nephew, I'd love to get them either way--mail or e-mail. :)

Sorry this e-mail is so long, I'll write a better, shorter one next week. Love you all. Sending appropriate Italian love your way, everyday, Sorella Mallory Hansen

No comments: