Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Breaking up but still holding hand, 100 pages in the BOM‏

Well, happy 9th of September!! Let me tell you about this week in the mission:On Saturday we did some service and cleaned the church. It looked pretty mangled. I spent several quality hours with the fig tree. Raking fallen leaves and matted smooshed figs, weeding...all good times! In the end, the church looked like paradise--soo beautiful. And the fig tree, thanks to Anziano Smiths pruning skills, actually looked like a tree instead of an overgrown ball of leaves. We left the church a little sunburnt, sweaty, and smelling like latex gloves and rotten figs but wouldn't you know it, it was a good time had by one and all. And hey, if you happen to run into some perfume called "latex gloves and rotten figs" I can advise you by first-hand experience to not invest! :)In other news we had another appointment with Enrica. Ah, I love this girl. We had planned to finish teaching the second lesson with her but right when she came into the church she seemed very agitated and ...not okay. She kind of gave us a "talk". She explained that this is a really hard time in her life right now and she's been trying to believe but she just can't do it at this point in her life. She talked to us about what the problems are and she has some legitimate problems that she's dealing with. I pulled out some scriptures that came into mind that I thought could help her and just bore testimony to her that the gospel could help her and...she didn't respond like it did anything for her. I was actually so sad. In the end, she still wants to see us, and I asked her if we can still read the scriptures with her and stuff and she agreed. So...it was weird. I like to use the comparison: She broke up with us....but we can still hold hands. ha ha I know that's awkward, but in the sense that it's still not over! I know that we have what she needs, and I know that as we carefully plan and follow the spirit, that she'll be able to see and feel of the truth and power of this message.We had Walters baptismal interview on Saturday--it's all a go! I'm glad that everything's official and that it's really happening. After his interview we had investigators, contacts, and new members watch "The Other Side of Heaven" in the church. It was weird how the movie is so different to me now. I watched it before my mission and I liked it alright. But watching it now, as a missionary, with investigators, it's a completely different experience. I dunno. It was weird.ALSO, yesterday we were out doing some finding work and we got a text from Walter. (Just as a little background information, the last thing that I'm aware of, is that he finished 1Nephi 12 like 5 days ago). So his text said that he just read all of 2Nephi and he listed his favorite chapters and verses. I was amazed and at the same time just started laughing. Come on! Who is this guy?! He ACTUALLY just sat down and read 2Nephi like no big deal. THEN, like 3 hours later when we were having lunch, we get another jolly text from Walter that says that he just finished reading Jacob. He again listed his favorite chapters and verses. I just started laughing again and looked up the parts that he liked so much. ha ha I'm so happy that he has a love for and testimony of the Book of Mormon. It's going to help him with his testimony so so much.By-the-way, how wonderful is the Book of Mormon? Throughout my mission I've been coming up with my own coloring coding system and it's quite possibly one of my favorite things. I love looking back through my scriptures and the colors and I know exactly what they mean. Also, if I'm looking for a certain type of scripture then I can just look for a specific color. I am telling you what, it has changed my personal study and I do not hate it. On the contrary, love it! I would seriously recommend it if you're looking for something to spice up your scripture study. It was the best thing that happened to my scripture study: Putting down the red pencil, and picking up a box of colored pencils. Yeah, give it a go. Your mind will expode with how much you'll love the scriptures. At least mine has......ANYWHOThanks for all of your love and support. I love you guys very much and keep you in my prayers. I know that I'm supposed to be here right now to serve God's children in Italy. He loves them so much, and I do too. It is such a blessing to be able to serve. I am learning so much. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father is so patient with me in my attempts to accomplished what He wants me to. I feel very blessed to have the perfect example to look up to--the more I learn about the Savior, the more my love grows for Him, the more I want to be more like Him, and the more that I want the people around me to know how important each one of them are. I love you guys. Be happy. Read your scriptures. Say your prayers. Laugh everyday. And know that Sorella Hansen is sending you Italian amore, Sorella Mally

No comments: