Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A "Religious discussion", how do you say Napkin?, Miracle named Susan‏

Hi-di-ho~
So, Sunday our wonderful Paolo and Walter received the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was so cool. I had to play the piano in sacrament meeting that day and I just felt like it was the most surreal thing, sitting on the piano bench, watching my friends receive the Holy Ghost and continue on this amazing road in the gospel! It was completely surreal but so wonderful!So...a couple of weeks ago we did a morning of nothing but house and it was kinda discouraging...no bites. Well, we met a woman with a little girl in her stroller and talked to her a little about the gospel and exchanged numbers. Her name's Angela and she's a Jehovah's Witness and we decided that we'd talk again. So this last week we had set up a time to meet her in a park to talk more about the gospel. I was so excited to show up to the park and see Angela and her cute little girl in the stroller. Well, we entered the park and were looking for Angela and all of a sudden I hear my companion say, "No way. ...she brought a friend." What? It turns out Angela brought a little friend who is also Jehovah's Witness and I had a feeling that the lesson that we planned for Angela that morning was...going to have to be altered. To start with, they wouldn't let us start with a prayer...uh??? So they started by reading us some scripture and then coming to the conclusion that you can't go to war and be Christian. They wanted us to explain why Mormons go to war ...and how we can still claim to be Christian?! It was way left field and so random. The interesting thing is Angela was really quiet through the whole thing but her "well-versed" friend did most of the talking. Even though they didn't let us pray out loud, there was certainly a lengthy prayer going on in my heart. We taught about the restoration of the church. They would nod when they were in agreement and pull a random scripture out when they felt they hadn't spoken in a bit. When I got to the part about Joseph Smith, Angela's friend said, "We don't need to hear about him. I already know everything about him. He founded your church." I used all of my mental strength to be patient and have a sweet loving voice. I tried to lovingly inform them that he didn't found our church and...explained everything to them anyway. I said the first vision and bore my testimony about how I know that Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and how I've prayed, asked, and I've felt for myself that it's true--he was called as a prophet to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ. And then, coolest thing happened....silence. Ah....it was a good sound. They had no scriptures to pull out, no contrary opinions, just silence. It was beautiful. And I realized the most marvelous thing: You can't fight with a testimony. There's no scripture that says, "No you didn't feel that Joseph Smith was called of God." Nope, doesn't exist. Because I have felt it. End of story. Go right ahead and check your topical guide all you want, but you can't bash my testimony. We finished teaching the lesson. They wouldn't let us read out of the Book of Mormon so...we just bore testimony of it. :) It was a great learning experience for me. I heard stories before my mission of situations like this...who knew that I'd be running into one on a little ol' island off of Italy? Not I, my friend. It was an awkward start, but I walked away without any worries about my testimony.Awkward moment of my life. During our weekly meeting as a district. My companion was trying to talk to the Italy elder in our district and was trying to say the word 'napkin'. The word had slipped my mind. I remember we said the word a lot in the MTC because we all thought that it was a really funny word. I was trying to think so hard about how you say it. I could remember the letters, the sounds involved...but the actual word wasn't quite coming to me. I thought I'd give a stab at it. So I looked at Anziano Polelli and said, "Tivoglio?" He gave me a weird look and then I said it slower..."Ti voglio?" Then my mind registered what I'd just said. Oops!! That is exactly how you do NOT say napkin. What I had actually just said to Anziano Polelli is, "I want you." Er...permission to go all karate kid and try to break a board with my face?!? How embarrassing. ha ha So, in case you want to know--you know, for future info--in Italian the word napkin is "Tovagliolo". I was close.... ha ha We had a miracle happen on Sunday. Let me start this story by backing up to like 2 months ago. Sorella Bjarnason and I had looked through our area book of old investigators and grabbed a couple that we wanted to follow up on. Well, we dropped by a woman named Susan. She has a husband and two children and we went and saw her. She was super nice, but then...didn't answer our calls after that. So...we just kind of let that go. Well, on Sunday she showed up to church with her family! Yup, Husband and two children. She remembered me and said she wanted us to come teach her and that she wants to be baptized. Er...for reals?! So I made sure to talk to her husband on Sunday because according to the record, he wasn't interested before. The missionaries had just taught Susan. Well, I talked to him about how we wanted to come teach them the gospel and got his number and...so now we have a family to teach. Love it! Oh my, when I have weeks like this, it just makes me laugh wondering what might go down in the coming week. Ah yes, missionary life.We have Presidents interviews this week which are always a joy. And then there's like a week and a half left in the transfer. It's gone mighty fast! I hope you guys are getting my mail. I've written everyone back that has written to me. Sometimes I wonder about mail because I think I'm putting on less postage then I should...haha so...I hope you're getting my mail. I love you guys. Have a marvelous week. Read your scriptures, say your prayers, and...hope you know how much I love you guys! Sister missionary love from Sardegna! Sorella Hansen

1 comment:

Nona Haddock said...

Mallory,
Love your blog. You have had great experiences! You are in our prayers daily. Keep up the Lord's work.
Love,
A. Nona