Thursday, February 11, 2010

Transfers, the priesthood rocks my socks, A place called Liberty‏



Well, well, well...how's everything going? It's been quite a crazy week. It was my companions last week as a missionary so there were lots of saying goodbye, pictures, and that kind of stuff. On Tuesday morning we had to take a train at like 5:15 a.m. to come to Florence where my companion dropped me off so that I can do an exchange with the sisters until I get my new companion. Sorella Skabelund went to Rome and is flying out...today actually. I've been doing an exchange with Sorella Dalia and Sorella Hughes. It's been fun actually. I'm kind of in love with Florence, really, like it might not be healthy or normal. But whatever. I'm embracing it because that is my life. So it's been cool to go to a couple of appointments with them and talk to some of the people on the buses here. It's been a fun change. We got transfer calls yesterday and President said that I'm staying in La Spezia and I'll have Sorella Dalia as my companion. It was funny that we had spent the whole day together and talked about how we wanted to live at BYU-Idaho together...and then President called us and told us that we were going to be companions. It was funny. I'm really excited. She's really fun and we are a lot alike--for better or for worse! ha ha Nah, I'm excited for this transfer. It should be slammin.So...as far as the work goes, do you remember the cookie lesson from a couple of weeks ago? Yeah well....there was kind of an explosion this week with that family. It was really hard. They are kind of known for calling us the day of our appointments, like a couple of hours beforehand, and cancelling. So long story short, something happened that made them get really mad at us and they called and told us that they didn't want to see us anymore and didn't want to have anything to do with us. Yeah, it was killer. I've never had anyone do anything like that to me. It made me think of those stories that I heard before the mission about how missionaries would go to an investigators house and there would be a book of Mormon in a bag hanging on the door with a note saying that they didn't want to see the missionaries anymore. Yeah, I remember hearing those stories and thinking, "Well crikey that's the worst." Well this week I got the opportunity to understand first hand how much it is a complete bust! It was brutality BUT with lots and lots of prayer and gaining a greater testimony and appreciation for the priesthood, we were somehow able to go talk to them and they're still going to let us go over and teach. I have spared you the fun details but just trust me, MIRACLE!!!Also guess how delightful this little moment of my life was. So I went to English class and this man Antonio told me that he brought me something. He's just this sweet Italian man. He's married and has a daughter my age. But last week was his first week at English class and we were talking about books and I hadn't ever read his favorite book. He BROUGHT me his favorite book, all wrapped up in this cute and awkward lawn gnome wrapping paper. It was the sweetest thing. The book is called "Un luogo chiamato LIberta" or in English "A place called Liberty". Have you guys ever read it? It's a big book and it's in Italian! I'm stoked to read Italian books when I get home. How cool is that?! AND to make things cooler, he plays the mandolin! He has like 5. Scratch that, he does have 5. I told him who my favorite mandolinist was and he's gonna check him out this week. What a fun little moment right? Who would have known 2 years ago that I'd be here, in La Spezia, Italy, just talking mandolin music with some guy named Antonio. Sometimes I have moments that I just back up and look at my life and just think, "Man, didn't see that happening 2 years ago...or even a week ago." hahaWell, I don't really have anything crazy rad to tell you about this week. I'm still in Florence for today and we'll probably go back to La Spezia tomorrow morning. Forecast for the next six weeks of my life: La Spezia! Then after this transfer...I'll just have one measly transfer left. Yuck. Too fast. I've been talking a lot with Sorella Hughes yesterday and today about how she's feeling and how her mission's going and stuff. It's been so nice to talk to someone from my group and see what's up. I feel less crazy at the fact that we're feeling a lot of the same things and it's been nice. Anyway, I hope you all have a marvelous week. I'll let you know how everything going week 1 of transfer 11 next week. Take care. Lots of Italian love, Sorella Hansen


No comments: