Thursday, June 25, 2009

ANFFAS, new investigator, our pet chubbers‏

This is Aldo. He's pretty much the highlight of English class in Rome. HILARIOUS!! He used to be a piano player for a living so after English class Anz. Herrick & I would throw out requests and off the top of his head he would play and sing. He even played at the Ritz! Anywho my favorite request was 'My Heart Will go On' that Titanic song by Celine Dion. No worries. GOT a video and you can see it 2010.

Ha, Ha... THE witch hunt baptism dress!
Me, Sorella Chevalier, Diana, Mani

The day of Diana's baptism!
Diana, Sorella Chevalier, Me

Lunch at Vince and Elenas. They're THE best BTW. We were joking about the juice that we brought (called 'Don Simon') life of the party. LOVE these guys.
Me, Anz. Brock, Anz. Herrick, Anz. Rogers, Elena, Anz. Bradford, Vince, Sorella Chevalier
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Fathers day fellas! (Sorry it's a week late.) :)Welp another loveably unpredictable week here in Cagliari. One of my favorite things that we do here is our service. Oh man, we go and volunteer with this...agency?...it's called Anffas. It's so much fun. It's people who have mental disabilities and they go to this center everyday and make things like picture frames and decorate boxes and journals. It's really cool actually. So, we get to help them every Thursday for a couple of hours and talk with them. They just completely kill me, they're so funny. We ride the bus with them to the place and it's so much fun. The bus driver loves us and pretty much considers us family (Uh...yeah, he's so getting baptised if I have anything to say about it. He'd be great with the young men. Yeah, sometimes I let my mind jump ahead of reality. First thing's first!) He always asks us stuff about the church and it's fun to watch his interest and see how he thinks about these things that we tell him. So this bus driver always asks us funny questions about America and it gets everyone on the bus laughing. They've asked us about Halloween, how we celebrate Christmas, what fruits we have, musicians, etc. It's so funny. I wish my life could be filmed when I'm with them because they're just too funny.Well, we had a couple of appointments with potential investigators this week--which is a big deal for us. This last transfer I've tried to be better about getting peoples phone numbers. THIS transfer I've been trying to figure out how to turn those numbers into appointments, and therefore turn THEM into investigators. Well, our appointment on Sunday kinda...tanked. ha ha It was with a guy named (and I'm not even joking) Golam. I proved to be completely oblivious to the world and he ended up being Muslim and tried to tell us how there were no more prophets after Mohammad and that we were wrong. Well, the only thing I felt to do was to bear my testimony that I know that Joseph Smith was called of God. It seemed to me more of a learning experience for us as missionaries then a ground breaking lesson for him.On the other hand, we had 2 other appointments with potential investigators (just people that I'd met on the bus) and...2 new investigators this week! One of them is named Mattia. This is such a cool story. So I met him on the bus on Saturday. When I say I met him, I mean....I noticed him but wasn't able to talk to him before I had to get off of the bus. Thank goodness Heavenly Father gives second changes. Sunday--the very next day, mind you--I got on the bus and made eye contact with him. I realized this was the loving slap in the face that I needed and I just walked up to him and sat down and started talking. He immediately said that he had heard of our church before. By the end of the conversation--right when I was about to get his phone number---HE said to ME, "Hey, why don't I give you my phone number and you can send me a message when your English class is." Er....for reals? You're OFFERING to give me your phone number? That stuff doesn't just happen does it?! So, I called him on Monday to tell him that our English Class was on Tuesday night if he wanted to come. He said he had to work but asked if we could do it some other time. We told him we could teach him some English earlier in the day. (We've taught English to people before, but it's hard to slip the gospel in if you don't start with it from the get go) So I said, "And because we're missionaries, we love to talk about the church. So we'll do a spiritual thought beforehand is that okay?" And he was totally cool with it.SO at the appointment, we started with the "spiritual thought" where we taught him about the restoration of the church. At the beginning I was just praying that he'd pay attention and be interested. Welp, don't even worry about it, he was asking questions and it was such a great lesson. At the end of the lesson I asked him how he felt about the things that we'd taught him and he said that he believed it. We'll meet with him again sometime this week. And in the end, we said, "Well do you wanna do some English?" and he didn't really seem to want to. He really just wanted to hear about the gospel! It's great to see that there are people that just really truly want to hear our message, there are people that are ready. I'm ever so grateful that Heavenly Father is patient with me because sometimes I drop the ball out here. But He has given me second chances SEVERAL times and I'm just so grateful that He humors ol' Sorella Hansen because I'm learning a lot.In other news I am still as girly and ridiculous as ever. Our laundry machine is out on the porch and so for some reason whenever I go out to put some laundry in the machine...there is always at least one chubster lizard out there! I usually make some sort of unvoluntary reflex reaction/sound and scamper back inside to tell my companion. (Because she really wants a picture of them) I don't know why, but they're never out there when she puts her laundry in. Negative. It's just when I'm out there. So awkward. So I can just imagine our neighbors across the way watching me tip-toe onto the porch with an armful of laundry, trying to be sneaky and quiet in case I need to make a fast get-away from our unwanted lizard friends. Ah, my life. At least Sorella Bjarnason has captured a picture of one so she knows that I'm not completely nuts.Well, I hope that you're all doing great and are healthy, happy, and loving every moment of your beautiful lives. I'm trying to do the same over here. I want you to know that I do have a testimony of this church. I know that Joseph Smith was called as a prophet to restore the church. I know that Heavenly Father loves us so much and answers every sincere prayer. I adore reading the scriptures. It's debatably awkward, my love for the scriptures. I learn so much from them and love my hour a day that I get to learn from them. I love you guys very much. Drive safe. Put on Sun Block. And remember that there's a blond sister missionary in Sardegna that loves you very much! Sorella Hansen

No comments: