Thursday, June 25, 2009

Worm cheese, walking great lengths, Miracle named Sergio‏

The Sanchez family. They're great members. We helped Adrian with English homework.

Sorella Barbiere, Adrian, Sorella Sanchez, Me

The sun was really bright... I know, it looks awkward.


The day of the little red bugs. We pulled our mattresses outside and wrote letters. (P-day, don't worry.) I'm 21 and still love juice boxes. This day I'm lovin' the apricot!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BUONGIORNO....Principessa! (Sorry fellas) Well this week was such a surprise and I'm really excited to tell you about it. So...there's something here in Sardegnia called Worm Cheese. It's actually illegal to sell...but not illegal to buy. We missionaries have been wanting to get our hands on it just so we could try it and tell the story. Welp, don't even worry about it, the elders got some. We had our weekly meeting as missionaries and they had a wheel of cheese that as soon as you opened the paper that it was wrapped in, little white worms starts jumping everywhere! It was gross. So they brought crackers and we all ate some worm cheese! I ate it in a fret so I didn't really feel them jumping in my mouth. Some of the elders would just put a worm in their mouth and eat it...but I'm not that brave slash....you know. Anywhoodle, yeah for cultural experiences? ha ha I have always wanted to prove to myself that I could do something "Fear Factor"ish. ha ha There you have it. Worm cheese!On Monday we wanted to go find an in-active member who lives a couple of cities away. We took a bus to Frutti D'oro and we were SUPPOSED to take another bus to Poggio Dei Pini (Our destination) HOWEVER, it turns out that there's like a 5 hour break when the bus comes for that city. So we would have had to wait for like 4 hours for a bus and then who knows when there would be another one to take us home. So what did we do? We walked!! It took a bit and was toasty hot, but we were going to find this in-active! I just busted up laughing so many times along the way about how far we were walking and how sweaty we were. haha It was hilarious. I took a couple of pictures. we were romping around through mountainous terrain in search of a lost sheep! And after an hour and a half of walking, we got there. Unfortunately for us...she wasn't at home. We left her a note and told her that we walked to her house because we really wanna see her. haha Hopefully she feels the love behind it. No I constantly feel amused at how sweaty I get here. I'm not one to sweat profusely or anything but really...it's remarkable. Sometimes we'll get to a lesson and sit down and I'll have a thought in my head, "Wow, there is actually a driblet of sweat going down my calf." It's crazy stuff but...it doesn't stop me from loving Italy and all the amazing people here. Being sweaty is just part of the delightful experience. So I will be honest, last week was a bit of a doozy. It just felt like a lot of our appointments were falling through, our investigators wouldn't answer their phones and/or call us back, and it just felt like nothing was working out. We did a lot of house this week and one of the times that we did house I'm pretty sure I almost went all emotional-woman and burst into tears on the doorstep. It was a man who told us that he'd been to our church when he was younger. I just got so much hope and just tried to bear my testimony of our message and he shut me down. I tried one more time to bear testimony of why we were there on his doorstep and he kinda...was more blunt and less patient with me. It really shocked me how hard that moment was on me. If anything, it was really good though, because it helped me remember how important this church really is, and it really IS sad when people don't want to accept it. I think that night my prayer was a lot more sincere.There is always a light at the end of the tunnel and sun after a storm. The very next day was just that. We felt like we should go back to Dolianova. It's a city that we went to for the first time to see a refferal from salt lake. All of our appointments had ducked out on us, and we somehow decided to go back to Dolianova and do a day of house! So we did. We walked to a certain part of the city and prayed about which of the two streets to do. We both felt like we should do the same one. We started and finished the street with no one interested. At the end of the street and I said, "Well Sister Bjarnason why were we supposed to do this street?" One of the people who had shut us down was a pass-back from the last time we were there. We left a note in her mailbox because no one answered. On that street, she was at a friends house and shooed us away. So I said, "Maybe we needed to have closure on Angela." At the end of this street, we turned left onto another street and kept going. We got to one door and my companion told this man that we had a message of Jesus Christ. He said, "What?" She said it again and he said, "Okay, come in." We sat down and from the get-go he wanted to hear about our message. He had some amazing sincere questions about how to know if you're making the right decision. We talked to him about prayer and we taught him the restoration. He was listening so carefully to us and the spirit was so strong. It was so amazing. I know for sure that he felt it. We left, inviting him to church and we thanked him for letting us talk to him about the gospel. He thanked us for telling him about Joseph Smith. He said, "I never heard of him before. Thank you so much for telling me." And it was just so amazing. We have another appointment with him tonight which means that our P-day will be cut a little bit short but good riddance! I don't even care! He's just amazing and so sincere. I can't wait to teach him again tonight. One of the members of the branch presidency lives in that city too so we want to do a family home evening all together. AH! It was just such a wonderful experience after a rough time. I talked with my companion about it afterwards. When we prayed about the two streets that we wanted to do house on, the street that we both felt good about--nothing actually happened on that street. But we needed to take that street in order to turn and get to Sergio. The other street would have taken us somewhere else. It's just cool that Heavenly Father helps us out and helps us see a bigger picture. I'm grateful for the good experiences and the hard ones. I'm learning and growing and there's no other way that could happen if it was always easy. Thanks for being wonderful you guys. I love you all very much and keep you in my prayers. Transfers are on Monday. I don't think that I'm going anywhere--I sure hope not!--but perhaps my companion will leave. She's been here for 3 transfers so...who knows. I'll find out on Monday. Take care, love your lives, and know that I love ya. Sardegnian amore, Sorella Hansen


No comments: