Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Give to the thieves, What did I say?, Somebody's gettin wet!!‏

Buongiorno dear ones! What a crazy week it has been! So much to tell! I've been meaning to tell you guys something. So my companion and I had felt that we needed to do some work in a certain area. What happened was we'd received a referral and had gone to that area a couple of times and the lady was never there, but we felt like we should do some work there. Later...we found out that it has a reputation for being the "scary part of town". None-the-less, we felt like we should go. So in the morning during our studies we were reading the White Handbook (which is the missionary rulebook) and the morning that we were going to this area to do some work we read in the handbook (we just happened to be at this part of the book) what it says about if you get robbed. It actually says to bring money with you to give to thieves. Not joking. We read that, looked at each other and just started laughing like, "No way. We're going to the part of town with a bad reputation and the only words of wisdom that we're getting from the white handbook is to pack light, and bring a wad of cash!" ha ha Oh dear. We found an investigator there and so whenever we go to her house we always check to make sure we have a little cash. ha ha Oh mamma.So we watched a session of general conference on Saturday with investigators, members and some new converts. It was really cool. It was the first time that I listened to it in Italian because when I was in Rome I went into the room where they played it in English. It was a humbling slap to the face. ha ha I can understand what they're saying...like what they're talking about but...I would be lying myself to sleep if I told you that I understood every word. Should I take this as a sign that I need to step up my language study? I respond with a resounding yup. Well, I sat by Walter and his cousin Paolo (who's an investigator of the elders) and Paolo actually kills me--so funny. He always tries to say the right thing and have the perfect answers. So, after we listened to the talk by the prophet, the elders had to change the DVD so one of the elders stood up and asked what we liked about the talk. Paolo leaned over to me and told me that he was very wise and humble, and had lived really amazing experiences and had much to teach. I nodded enthusiastically and told him that I agreed. ha ha Well, then when the elder asked the question about what everyone thought of the prophet, Paolo--remembering that I thought his answer was great--leaned over to me and said, "What did I say?" He wanted to repeat his answer to everyone because he knew it was a good answer but he couldn't remember what he said. ha ha Classic Paolo.We taught a lesson on Sunday with Walter, Paolo, the elders, and a new member. We taught repentance, baptism, and confirmation. It went really well. The new member-Giovanni-was such a help to the lesson in sharing his experience about deciding to get baptised and the changes that he had to make. The lesson went really well and the spirit was there helping us so much which is hardly something to complain about. On the contrary, it was wonderful, and I know that Walter felt it too. Well..........Walter and Paolo are going to get baptised on September 12th!!!! I'm so excited. Walter has progressed and changed so much since I first met him. It's crazy! But it's also so amazing to look back at the lessons that we've had and know that he's felt the spirit and I know that he has a testimony of the church. Remember back when we had our first lesson with him and he told us that he felt like he was standing on the edge of the cliff and we were flying? The other night he sent us a text that said that he's flying now and it feels wonderful. How wonderful is this guy?!? On Monday we went to the park and read the scriptures together and taught tithing. The lesson went really well, the only problem is his family is really really not happy with him. I feel really guilty that I have all of my family members of the church and then see all of the problems that are going to happen when he becomes a member. It was cool because after he told us that he had a bad conversation with his family he said, "But I'm still here. I'm still doing this. I'm not going anywhere." The other thing that made me feel sick is that we set this baptismal date on Sunday and...transfers were in 3 days.We heard about transfers last night after English class. I was really nervous because I want to be here for Walters baptism so bad. I've seen him do all of this from day 1 and I just really wanna see him be baptized and as a member. I was talking to Anziano Smith (our district leader) on Monday, and he was saying how worried he was that I was getting transferred because he said that's always how it happens. Everything's been too perfect and I have to get transferred before his baptism. Welp....I'm staying here in Cagliari for another transfer! Woot woot!! I am so so glad! Walter was at English class when we heard the news and said good-bye to Sorella Bjarnason. She's going to Rome 1 (my first city) and she's going to be companions with Sorella Swenson (from my MTC district, and I met her in the temple before the MTC) She's going to be just fine next transfer. She scored big time with the city and companion. I am getting Sorella Nelson as a companion. She's in Rome right now. I have to leave on a boat tonight (Wednesday) to go get her. We'll arrive on the mainland Thursday morning, we have to take a train to Rome, pick up my companion, take a train back to the boat, and Thursday night we take a boat back to the island and arrive Friday morning. Then we have to take another train down to Cagliari. It will be a lot of traveling but it's okay. I haven't done much traveling for 4 1/2 months so...I can talk with some fellow travellers! I met Sorella Nelson briefly when I served in Rome but I don't know her very well. She's younger then me in the mission but only by a couple of months I think. She seems super nice and I'm excited for her to meet all of the wonderful members and investigators that we have here.Well, another fantabulous week on the beautiful island. By-the-way...I don't know if I told you but uh...Walter is getting baptized!! Anyway...no big deal or anything...I just thought you should know. BAH!I hope everything's going well for you guys. I keep you guys in my prayers and hope you know how much I love you and hope you're loving every moment of your beautiful lives. Sending lots of love from Cagliari!! Sorella Hansen

No comments: