Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Slappy, Ballerina, Cagliari‏

Hey Fam and Friends~Well check it out...I'm off on an island attempting to converse in Italian. Who knew this would be my life?! Not I! Let me give you a little run down of the last week. Welp, on Thursday I went to the train station, met my companion, and we ALMOST missed our train to Civitavecchia. (Not even playin', like we were running with the elders taking my luggage and throwing it on the train). It was a "Home Alone" moment. Then we got off the train and found the big beautiful boat that was going to take me to my new city! It was so rad actually. We got to take some sweet escalators up a couple of floors to check-in (this detail is crucial for later) and after a comical, accidental tour of this massive boat (because we couldn't find our room) we settled into our little pocket-size room and got ready for our voyage! Well...the kicker was when we were getting off of the boat. So, I have two bags of luggage right? My companion had the littler one and I had the one that could fit Andre the Giant inside. Well, we were getting off of the boat and we had to take the escalators down....haha So, my companion went first pulling her luggage right behind her. And then....I stepped on and pulled the barge of luggage behind me. I don't know if I just didn't watch to make sure that it was properly fitting on one stair or what happened but....it fell on me...and then I kinda fell on my companion...and after some fast and incredibly awkward flailings I got back to the upright position and had my bag secured....but not before one of my flailings resulted in...the slapping of my companion. Uh...yeah. ha ha So, we hadn't even been companions for 24 hours and I already slapped my companion in the face. Luckily after I apologized many many times it was fine. And at least the boat staff got a kick out of the situation. Ah yes, Welcome to Cagliari indeed!Cagliari is beautiful! Holy Smokes! It's by the sea and it's adorable. I already don't want to leave. It's way different from Rome though, that's for sure. We went to church on Sunday and they had me play the piano for relief society (just like in the Rome ward.) It's just funny to me that nobody plays the piano here. It's just so, not original, in Utah. An awesome little confidence buster happened during the relief society lesson when the teacher asked the missionaries a question. I didn't understand what she asked me. I tried to clarify what I understood but she just shook her head. Meanwhile my companion was zoned out and I think I started sweating! ha ha I get really nervous when I don't understand. Apparently they wanted to hear a little story of when we've been rejected as missionaries or something. Inspiring!We had English class last night and it was really fun. The class had like 9 people show up which is a pretty big deal because we had about that many people in our intermediate class in ROME...and this is a smaller city. It was way cool though. The students were super nice to us and I had a lot of fun teaching them. We were teaching them about the English infinitive and I had written out a "sentence skeleton" (obviously that's not what it's really called, I just...don't know what it's called) and they had to write the sentence. Well, on one of them I had written "I/ to want / to be/ a ballerina" And then the person had to conjugate it in present, make it into a question, and negate it. Well, I had written many different sentences but the person who got this one was a skinny man who has a pony tail. He raised his hand to have me come correct the sentence that he wrote and I just busted up laughing. He went and wrote it on the board in front of the class and we all just died laughing. Poor guy. When he wrote it in the negative he wrote "I DO NOT want to be a ballerina". It was so funny.Every thing's going well. Cagliari is absolutely beautiful it's out of control. I wouldn't hate living here after my mission that's for sure. I'm still working on figuring a bunch of things out. It's so crazy that my companion and I are companions. We're both so young in the mission but it's cool. We're learning from each other and learning together. There's a lot of work to do and it's gonna be fun to figure it out and enjoy the work. Thanks for all of the prayers and all of your love and support. Love you guys millions and brazillians. Take care. Italian kisses!
Sorella Hansen

1 comment:

Nona Haddock said...

I love reading your blog! Just want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Love,
A. Nona