Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fakin' it, answering the peoples prayers, Celebrating the existence of women‏


Oh my stars can we just talk about the awkwardness that made up my Sunday?! So our dear Acevedo family decided to invite the branch president and his wife over for lunch. Sparing you some of the painfully awkward details (because you're not missionaries so you shouldn't have to deal with it. ha ha) they put on QUITE a show. Oh mylanta it was brutality. I love this family. I've been working with them for 5 months but they are a quirky bunch and I am well aware. But they pulled out some stops for this meal with the branch president and his wife. First off, Judy (the mom/wife) told us that she couldn't come to church on Sunday because she would be preparing lunch for them. She was like, "Oh sisters, I think that Jesus will understand." I was like, "Err...Judy, I daresay that Jesus wants you in church." But alas, she didn't come and just Leo came to church. So we went with to their house after church and please picture this in your minds: where there used to be a pull-out bed, there are now two fancy sitting chairs. They have a fancy table cloth, AND on a shelf they have the Bible opened...like as a decoration or something. I was just dying inside about this big fancy show that they were putting on. In the end it was fine. They really like Presidente Margheriti and his wife. Obviously because they're marvelous. I was so glad for that meal to be over though. It was such an event and it was just SO not them. ha ha Oh dear. One for the books!We went and saw Giuseppina Maiello yesterday. We haven't seen her since week 2 of the transfer. We tried so hard to prepare ourselves for that first appointment. She told us that she was going to have her son do the communion in the catholic church even though she knows that it's wrong and I think we were depressed for like 2 days. It was all that we could think about. Well we've been praying about her and we called her last week to see her. When we first sat down she told us that she had read the book of Mormon last week. ---which is MASSIVE because she told us at our last appointment that she wouldn't read it because she didn't want to confuse her son. Then she said that after she was done reading the book of Mormon one night she said a prayer and asked God to have us come back and see her again. Well we called her that night! So when we were sitting at the table she was like, "How did you do it?" We were just like, "You came into our minds." And she was like, "At what time?" ha ha and we said, "in the evening". And she goes, "That's when I was reading the book of Mormon." It was really crazy. We answered her prayers!It was really cool. We're going to go back next week and listen to a talk with her and her kids called "Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence". It's an amazing talk by Elder Holland (who rocks my socks every time I listen to him). It should be good. In the meantime we bore our testimonies to her about the importance of being an example for her family. Praying, reading the scriptures...we told her that when her family--and especially her husband--see her doing these things, it will leave a very strong impression on them. She really liked that. So...from the last appointment it was definitely a step up! :)So...you know how Italians are always celebrating right? Well little did I know (Or...I forgot since last year) that March 8th is a holiday here!! It's called La Festa della donna. Or...Women's day. Yup, it's a day celebrating women...just the fact that we exist pretty much. Obviously we partook in the festivities. Why would we NOT?! ha ha They have these beautiful little yellow, puffy flowers that you give to women on that day. Some old lady gave some to my companion on the bus. It was a delightful little holiday. I just might try to make it big in the states. Good times...I should probably scadaddle. We're spending p-day at a little city that you might have heard of...Pisa!! There's really nothing in this city but the leaning tower but somehow I still find myself 124% amused and entertained every time I come. No complaints!! Well it's been another week of hard work but there's more that we want to do. Hope you're all having the time of your lives! Loving ya lots from all the way over here in La Spezia, Sorella Hansen

No comments: